Useful Information

Driver’s License

Students and scholars are encouraged to obtain a California Driver’s License if they plan to drive a car in the United States. A California Driver’s License is required to purchase a car and obtain auto insurance. The State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP)/International Driver’s License/International License as a valid form of driver’s license.

To obtain a California driver’s license, you must pass both a written and a driving examination at the Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV). The manual of driving regulations for the written test can be obtained from any DMV office.

DMV Driver’s License Application Process

Take the following documents to the DMV when applying:

  1. Valid passport
  2. I-94 Arrival/ Departure record
  3. Continued Attendance I-20
  4. To get a Real-ID:
    • Social Security Card
    • Two residency documents (lease, utility bill, etc.)

Obtaining a California Identification Card

A driver’s license is the primary form of identification in California. Students who do not drive can obtain a California Identification (ID) card instead. The DMV website offers detailed guidelines on obtaining an ID card.

The Nearest DMV from our school is:
3615 S Hope St,
Los Angeles, CA 90007.

The phone number is (800) 777-0133
Office hours are:
Monday, Tuesday 8AM–5PM
Wednesday 9AM–5PM
Thursday, Friday 8AM–5PM
Saturday and Sunday Closed

Immigration Information

The following are guidelines established by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) formally the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) for “non-immigrant aliens.”

F-1 Status Requirements

You must maintain your F-1 international student status. To do so, you will have to:

  • Keep your passport valid
  • Be enrolled as a full-time student in accordance with the USCIS rules for international students: Full-time graduate students must take and complete a minimum of 8 units per quarter. In addition, “continuous full-time” status is required, which means three quarters per year.

Failure to fulfill these requirements will jeopardize your F-1 status and your enrollment at the School.

Local USCIS Facility

The nearest USCIS is at 1015 Wilshire Blvd #100, Los Angeles, CA 90017.
Currently, the USCIS is open from 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM on Monday through Friday

Travel Requirements

When you plan to travel (i.e., leave and then re-enter the U.S.), check your Visa. If it is for single entry or has expired, you will have to have it renewed by an American Consulate before you can re-enter the U.S. The following documents must be with you when you apply for renewal:

  • Passport. Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond the authorized date of your stay (noted on the I-94).
  • U.S. Visa.
  • Authorized and signed I-20.

Remember: These requirements satisfy only those set by the USCIS for returning F-1 Visa students. Before traveling abroad, check with a travel agency to see whether there are other requirements.

Consular Corps

Here are the addresses and telephone numbers for some of the consulates in California:

  • Consulate General of the People’s Republic of China
    443 Shatto Pl,
    Los Angeles, CA 90020
    (213) 807-8088 
  • Philippine Consulate General
    435 Wilshire Blvd #550,
    Los Angeles, CA 90010
    (213) 639-0980 
  • Consulate General of Japan
    350 S Grand Ave #1700,
    Los Angeles, CA 90071
    (213) 617-6700 
  • Consulate General of the Republic of Korea
    3243 Wilshire Blvd.,
    Los Angeles, CA 90010
    (213) 385-9300 
  • Consulate General of Mongolia in San Francisco
    465 California St #200,
    San Francisco, CA 94104
    (415) 622-4000 
  • Taipei Economic& Cultural Office
    3731 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 700,
    Los Angeles, CA 90010
    (213) 389-1215 
  • Royal Thai Consulate General
    611 N Larchmont Blvd #2,
    Los Angeles, CA 90004
    (323) 962-9574 

Social Security Card

You will need to obtain a Social Security card for employment on-campus or off-campus.

To apply for a Social Security card, take your passport, I-94, I-20, and official letter of employment to a Social Security Administration Office.

Nearest Social Security Administration Office is at:
611 W 6th St #650,
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(877) 803-6308

Health Issues

Unfortunately, pursuing a degree is a time when students don’t get enough sleep, don’t make healthy dietary choices, and experience a significant increase in stress. It is imperative that a healthy lifestyle is pursued, e.g., getting a good night’s sleep each night, eating healthy, drinking water, and exercising regularly; all of these things will lead to a healthy college experience. If a student doesn’t feel well, he or she should first consider sleep, diet, and exercise; often, unhealthy practices in these areas cause the body to feel mentally and physically run-down.

If you feel like you need to see a doctor, contact your insurance company and check which doctor that they would have you see locally. If you already have a local doctor, call them directly and set up an appointment. Remember to bring your insurance card and co-pay to the appointment. Additionally, there are a number of pharmacies and urgent care facilities in the area that will provide walk-in services.

If you are experiencing a health emergency, do not wait to contact a doctor, dial 911 immediately.


The following are some of the hospitals available in the area:

  • St. Vincent Medical Center
    2131 W. 3rd Street,
    Los Angeles, CA 90057
    (213) 484-7111 
  • Good Samaritan Hospital
    1225 Wilshire Blvd.,
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 977-2121
    (Walk-in service is available from 7am to 7pm.) 
  • Silver Lake Medical Center
    1711 W Temple St,
    Los Angeles, CA 90026
    (213) 989-6100 
  • Urgent Care:
    The Urgent Care at Vermont
    1234 N Vermont Ave,
    Los Angeles, CA 90029
    (323) 660-0831 

Health Insurance

All full-time students are required to have personal medical insurance coverage. As an international student, who enrolled pursuant to an F visa must have and maintain medical and hospitalization insurance as a condition of initial and continued enrollment at the institution.


CTSB students can request reduced-fare Metro Tap card that provides student-discounted unlimited rides on Metro’s rail and bus lines for a given quarter.

Before you apply for Tap Card please request a statement of Enrollment Verification from the CTSB Office of Administration then submit the completed application at any Metro Customer Center. The nearest location to our school is:

Wilshire/Vermont Center
3183 Wilshire Blvd, Ste. 174
Los Angeles, CA 90010

Office Hours
Monday – Friday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
College/Vocational Monthly Pass- $43

For more information, please use the following link: