International Students

Specific Admission Requirements

Non-immigrant international students may apply with CTU for the issuance of a Form I-20 as certificate of eligibility for admission by the Student Exchange and Visitor Program (SEVP) to enable students to apply for an F-1 Visa at their local U.S. Consulate or Embassy and enter the U.S. In addition to completing the general admission requirements, international students must submit the following:

  1. Proof of financial ability in the form of Affidavit of Support, Bank or Financial Statements showing liquid funds to cover tuition and living expenses in the United States for one year academic term.
  2. Copy of diploma (provide a certified translation for non-English diploma).
  3. English language proficiency through submission of an official IELTS Academic or TOEFL result. Refer to the section on English Proficiency Requirements.
  4. Copy of valid passport.
  5. Copy of most recent U.S. Visa.
  6. Copy o latest I-94.
  7. For change of Visa Status applicants approved in the U.S., an I-797 F1 Approval Form from the USCIS.

English Proficiency Requirements

International student applicants are required to take one of the following English Proficiency Exams and submit a satisfactory scorel/level at the time of application. The following are the accepted English Proficiency Exams and Scores/Levels:

  • The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test covers all facets of English proficiency including spoken English and grammar exercises. CTU requires a TOEFL score of 45 or higher for IBT, 133 or higher for CBT, 450 or higher for PBT.
  • The IELTS Academic exam measures ability to communicate in English across all four language skills – listening, reading, writing and speaking. In addition, it assesses whether the student is ready to begin studying in an environment where English is the language of instruction. CTU requires an IELTS Academic score of 4.5 or higher.

International students who have not previously taken any of these English proficiency tests can choose to prepare by reviewing on their own or by enrolling in an approved ESL program. Test application requirements, authorized test locations and schedule, testing fees, and other details can be obtained from the respective websites:


Evaluation of Diploma and Transcripts

International students must submit a certified translation of their non-English transcripts and diplomas. A list of independent translation evaluation services recognized by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or the Association of International Credential Evaluators can be obtained from the admissions office.

SEVIS Transfer

International students currently on F1 Visa with a valid Form 1-20 issued by another school can apply to transfer and enroll in CTU by completing the general admission requirements, and upon obtaining an acceptance letter , request a transfer/release of their Form I-20 from their previous school.


International Student Responsibilities

SEVP places responsibility on the international student to understand and comply with program regulations. This section summarizes the responsibilities for F-1 students. Failure to comply with these responsibilities may jeopardize their F-1 student status.

Register for and Complete a Full Course of Study

F-1 students are required to register and enroll in a full course of study each quarter. The following are the CTU’s minimum unit requirements per quarter for F-1 students to maintain full-time registration for each level of study:

  • Bachelor or Associate Degrees: 12 units per quarter
  • Doctorate or Masteral Degrees : 8 units per quarter

Under certain circumstances, F-1 students may be authorized to enroll for less than a full course of study and still meet program regulations for maintaining status. The student should meet one of the criteria listed on the Reduced Course Load Request Form, consult with and obtain approval from the Academic Dean and/or provide medical documentation.

Leave of Absence

Students must notify the Registrar if they do not intend to register in a given quarter. Students are allowed to apply for a Leave of Absence (non-medical) after attending three consecutive quarters. Any student who does not register for the next quarter after the expiration of a Leave of Absence must apply for readmission and is subject to all current academic and administrative policies and procedures, including any new degree requirements in effect at the time of readmission.

Complete Program Before I-20 Expires

An F-1 student has permission to study in the United States up to the expected completion date as indicated on the Form I-20.

I-20 Program Extension

To request for an extension, the student must demonstrate that additional time is needed because of compelling academic reasons or a documented medical illness. An F-1 student who requires additional time to complete a program should consult with the administrative office to apply for an extension one month before their Form I-20 expires. Students are allowed a maximum of one year extension of their I-20.


Upon graduation, the student has 60 days grace period to either:

  • Leave the United States
  • Change to another status
  • Or begin a new program (this requires a new Form I-20)


Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment that is directly related to an F-1 student’s major area of study. Eligible students can apply to receive 12 months of OPT employment authorization 90 days before completing their academic studies (pre-completion) and/or within 60 days after completing their academic studies (post-completion). To apply for OPT, an F-1 student must submit an OPT Request Form to the school and follow the OPT application process.